Friday, April 9, 2010

Learning To Program [Entrepreneurship]

example of Python languageImage via Wikipedia
Check out Brad Feld's Learning To Program post.

He talks about how nontechnical founders can gain technical knowledge and avoid brining on a partner for technical knowledge alone.

He basically advocates learning it yourself, which I'm a huge proponent of.

But where to start? At one point, you don't even know what you don't know.

My advice is to get a mentor with technical knowledge who can point you in the right direction.

I've gotten really good at learning only what I need to know when it comes to technical knowledge. I can learn 80% of a framework or language in no time and rely on the open source community or other sources when I need help with the other 20%.

But you need to know where to go to get that information -- and a mentor is a good place to start.

One point I take contention with: Feld says "neither were computer science majors."

I actually don't put much stock in CS degrees. I'm much more impressed by an individual who has shown he or she can learn this stuff on their own.

CS degrees are for that extra 20% that you may never even use.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus